You may download a PDF version of this resume here
12027 40th Ave NE
Available upon request
Ph.D. Computer Science
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
Expedia via Slalom Consulting placement, Dec 2012 - present
Big Data Engineer, Consultant - Initially on a MongoDB project, I then transferred to a project focusing on Hadoop/Hive on AWS, using both EMR and nonEMR-Hadoop in EC2. Tasks include data synchronization between EC2 and S3, Hive stand-up, and AWS profiling. Notable accomplishments include Hadoop 2.0/YARN EC2 deployment. Amazon's own engineers were curious about my progress.
Slalom Consulting, Feb 2012 - present
Big Data Engineer, Consultant - Work on the National Mobility team (under Jeff Rubingh) and the National BI team (under Kevin Gregory) developing big data processing techniques. Work focused on MapReduce and Hive solutions, using Cloudera on Tier 3 and Hadoop-on-Azure, processing CRM, NY MTA, Linked-In API, and Twitter API, with some visualization via OpenLayers.
University of Washington, Dept. of Astronomy, Feb 2010 - Jan 2012
Research Scientist IV - Work in the LSST group (under Andrew Connolly) on the development of massively parallel image processing routines using Hadoop. Work focused on image coaddition, wherein multiple partially overlapping images are registered, stacked, and mosaiced into a single uniform result. Our test dataset was the SDSSDB, 30TB comprising 4 million images, with future applications to LSST (60PBs). Our test cluster (NSF CluE) housed 892 machines providing 700TB storage and 3568 concurrent processes.
University of Washington, Applied Physics Lab, May 2007 - Feb 2010
Software Engineer IV - Proj. 1: Sonar Simulation Toolkit (under Robert Goddard), an eigenray model of underwater acoustics: Incorporation of external libraries, OO design, feature development, optimization/performance- redesign, refactorization, unit-testing. Proj. 2: a real-time data-acquisition/FFT-processing system with low data-loss tolerances, rapid throughput, and amenability to future parallelism.
University of New Mexico, 1999 - 2007
Course Instructor (Jan 2007 - May 2007) - CS241, Data structures/algorithms, taught in C.
Graduate Research Assistantships (Sep 1999 - May 2006) - see Research, below.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Sep 1999 - May 2006) - 200-level and 300-level C++ (6 semesters).
The Institute for Genomic Research, Sep 1997 - Aug 1999
Software Developer - C++ bioinformatics software development for DNA sequencing tools and closure analysis.
Only a few projects are described here. Please see my website for a comprehensive listing.
Image/Acoustic Signal Processing
• Keith's Image Stacker: Multi-threaded (aka parallel) image stacking, Laplacian sharpening, wavelet denoising. Used by amateur astrophotographers, reviewed online and in Astronomy and Sky \& Telescope.
• WildSpectra (collaboration: Dr. R. Haven Wiley, Biology dept, UNC-CH): Mac real-time spectrogram analyzer, used in Dr. Wiley's research lab and by researchers throughout the acoustic-biology community.
• Keith's iPod Photo Reader: Extracts images from iPod .ithmb image files. Implementation required reverse-engineering the image format from scratch.
• Hadoop Image Coaddition: Please see employment, above.
• Petri (game): grow a cell culture in a Petri dish, fend off invasive cultures and phage outbreaks.
• WildSpectra Mobile: Real-time scrolling spectrograms (FFT and octave-band) on Android devices. Also: real-time waveform & FFT/octave spectrum, and post-recording editing/playback and file I/O.
• Shead Spreet: Spread sheet for Android devices with 175,000 installs, 7000 sales, and a 4.3/5 rating.
• Distributed Mandelbrot Set: Generates fractal images by farming job-segments to multiple computers. Networking coded from scratch using sockets. Automatic load-balancing ensures optimal performance.
• Hadoop Image Coaddition: Please see employment, above.
• Druid (PhD thesis): Vector drawing program which permits interwoven surfaces (Celtic knots, Olympic rings, etc.) and which provides an isomorphic efficient interface.
Artificial Life, Simulation: Evolutionary algorithms, robotics, flocking, etc. (please see my website).
Web Design: http://keithwiley.com, http://music.keithwiley.com, http://moviehurl.keithwiley.com
• Proceedings chair for the Computer Science at UNM Student Conference committee, 2006.
• Sky & Telescope magazine. Software review: Keith's Image Stacker and Keith's Astroimager, Aug 2004.
• First place in the first International Online Artificial Life Creator's Contest, Cyberbotics Webots, khepera robot sim., Jul 1999.
Winter 2003-Summer 2006, Ph.D. thesis
Design and implementation of Druid (see Personal Projects:HCI, above).
Spring 2001-Spring 2002, Autonomous Robotic Glider, UNM C.S. Dept/Sandia National Labs
Use of genetic programming trees to evolve behavioral routines for autonomous robotic unpowered gliders.
Wiley, K. B., et al. Astronomy in the Cloud: Using MapReduce for Image Co-Addition. Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (PASP), 123(901), 366-380, 2011.
Wiley, K. B., et al. Astronomical Image Processing with Hadoop. Astronomical Data Analysis Software and Systems (ADASS) XX, 2010.
Wiley, K. B., et al. Parallel Distributed Image Coaddition with Hadoop. Yahoo Hadoop Summit, 2010.
Wiley, K. B., Williams, L. Representation of Interwoven Surfaces in 2½D Drawing. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 2006.
Wiley, K. B., Williams, L. Representation of Interwoven Surfaces in 2½D Drawing. Proc. of CHI, Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, Montréal, Canada, 2006.
Wiley, K. B. The Fermi Paradox, Self-Replicating Probes, and the Interstellar Transportation Bandwidth. Oct 2011.
Wiley, K. B., Chambers, S. Long Exposure Webcams and Image Stacking Techniques. The Art and Science of CCD Astronomy, 2nd edition. David Ratledge, editor, 2005.
Wiley, K. B. Long Exposure Webcams and Image Stacking Techniques for the Budget-Minded Astrophotographer. Astronomy. Bakich, Michael, editor. Dec, 2003.
Wiley, K. B. Pattern Evolver, An Evolutionary Algorithm that Solves the Nonintuitive Problem of Black and White Pixel Distribution to Produce Tiled Patterns that Appear Gray. The Handbook of Genetic Algorithms. Chambers, Lance D., editor. CRC Press. 1999.
Wiley, K. B. Implications of Computerized Intelligence on Interstellar Travel. H+ Magazine. Anissimov, Michael, editor. Sep, 2011.